Saturday 13 December 2008

BBC Today, Radio 4

To quote from the programme synopsis:

A review on education has advocated replacing a curriculum of traditional subjects with six broad areas of understanding. And putting IT at the heart of teaching. Stephen Heppell, a consultant in the education field, says "the world has gone learning mad" in preparing legislation within the education sector.

Here is the brief radio interview - I had a lot of very supportive mail after this by the way...

I hope this link works for overseas friends, the BBC site is a bit odd about who can or can't see / hear its stuff

1 comment:

  1. Thought-provoking stuff: how does something become evidence-based unless you let people try out new ideas in the first place? I guess it comes down to more universal truths than facts and figures. I had a conversation recently with a senior manager in education who wanting to 'prove' the effectiveness of a new initiative. The measures were based on attendance figures, and they were keen to prove (or disprove) the correlation.
    For me the challenge is to move to more meaningful measures of engagement in learning such as children laughter in class, spontaneous applause, the number of students talking to their parents about their learning without prompting, or the numbers of students googling 'academic' search items in their own time at home.
    Ultimately we have to trust in and believe in our young people and support their learning- this will mean at times we are consultants and at others we learn from them. I learn as much as I teach my 11 year old when it comes to ICT, and that's fine with me.

    ReplyDelete